Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I love Luke.

Reading through the gospels together, I kept getting drawn to Luke -particularly the language and the nuances that could easily go unnoticed. Luke incorporated intricacies of Jesus' life and stories that brings new meaning and understanding to the stories I've read over and over. Even though the difference may literally be the addition or adjustment of a single word, it makes a huge difference to me.

So last night, I read the introductions to M/M/L/J in my Life Application Study Bible, and reading the description of Luke made my appreciation even deeper and more personal - he wrote the way I think and emphasized what I value most in Jesus.
Here are some highlights:
  • Luke affirms Jesus' divinity, but the real emphasis of the book is to show Jesus' humanity --Jesus, the Son of God, is also the Son of Man. As a doctor, Luke was a man of science, and as a Greek, he was a man of detail. It is not surprising, then, that he begins by outlining his extensive research and explaining that he is reporting the facts.
  • Luke was also a close friend and traveling companion of Paul, so he could interview the other disciples, had access to other historical accounts, and was an eyewitness to the birth and growth of the early church. His Gospel and book the Acts are reliable, historical documents.
  • This is the most comprehensive gospel. The general vocabulary and diction show that the author was educated. He makes frequent references to illnesses and diagnoses. Luke stresses Jesus' relationships with people; emphasizes prayer, miracles, and angels; records inspired hymns of praise; and gives a prominent place to women
  • He is the only known Gentile author in the New Testament. [Luke was written to] Theophilus ("one who loves God"), Gentiles, and people everywhere
I love it. -A Gentile, studied/lived science, educated, detail-oriented, valued relationships, gives props to women. (sound like me? hahaa) What more could I ask for? Hehe. Luke is wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. Recently, I've been really interested in investing in a study bible...this entry makes we want one more. haha :)

    ReplyDelete