Saturday, February 14, 2009

If you liked it, then you shoulda put a ring on it.

Oh my goodness, I'm getting addicted to blogging! noOoOooOOo... but I like it. heh hehh...
but ANYWAY, I was reading a devo that my good friend John Cadengo wrote, and I wanted to share with you all too.

John (Cadengo, not the ones in the Bible) writes:
In Ephesians chapter one Paul says, "In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory."

The Holy Spirit is the guarantee of our inheritance: the assurance of God's promise to us. We know that God will fulfill his Word because he gave us the Holy Spirit. God created marriage so that we may understand and know the type of relationship that Christ has to the Church: that is, Christ is the Groom and the Church is His Bride. Now, in a marriage the Groom always proposes to the Bride with a Promise, with a Ring. That Ring, that guarantee and symbol of the faithfulness that God has for us is the Holy Spirit. Then, what does God require of us in loving kindness? We are meant to shine out as lights of love in this world. We are called to demonstrate and declare the kind of love that God has for us to others.


Thinking about the Holy Spirit as my "spawklwing diamond" (name that movie!), it gives me a lighthearted joy that I almost forgot about. I went on a honeymoon with the Holy Spirit at House of Sarang this past summer, where I truly got to enjoy, get blessed by, and hang with the Holy Spirit all day, all night. But coming back to America, I let the love and intimacy fade away, as America does to many things. (hehe. jk.)

A lot of times, when we think of God, we either see Him as 1. God the Father, Creator, Provider, Almighty, Yahweh, (etc.) or as 2. Jesus, Sweet Lamb, Ultimate Sacrifice, Giver of Grace and Salvation.

And of course, these views of God are true and absolutely necessary, but more often than not, we don't look at the complete picture. There's a whole chunk of God that a lot of us don't give homage to. The Holy Spirit plays a HUGE role in our lives. He../she../it... is the KEY to our understanding of the Word and fellowship with Christ and the Father. He is our incomprehensibly, graciously given 10^INFINITY(th power)-CARAT DIAMOND RING! But, we forget about Him. We don't give him the MAD props he deserves.

Even though he is invisible, he shines far crazier than a diamond ever could. No, he BLAAAAZES, RADIATES God's Glory. It's as if God gave us a magical.. cloak of invisibility (heh heh). Waay cooler than a ring. God likes us, so he put a ring on it. HAHA. But he did FAARRR greater than that. He LOVES us, so he wrapped us up in the Holy Spirit. A covering for our whole lives/souls/hearts, not just a puny little finger.

And you know, when/if I get married, I can imagine how happy I'd be to show off my ring (regardless of its size), but thinking about showing off the Holy Spirit should be so much sweeter. Imagine having a BEAUTIFUL diamond the size of .. your house.. that no one could ever, ever steal from you. Wouldn't you want to show that off? Wouldn't you want others to ask you about it, crave it for themselves? (and then BAM! gospel attack! how great would that be.)

But alas, a lot of times, instead, we hide Him. We forget we're even wearing a cloak of invisibility. We're supposed to live life, DRUNK off the Holy Spirit, but instead we live extremely sober, cold, hardhearted, societally-conformed lives.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO US ALL!
We have to live SATURATED in the Word and in the Spirit. and I mean saturated. Impregnated, completely filled to the brim and beyond. and OF COURSE, I am faaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr from this, but I'm hoping to try. And there is hope because God can do it through His Holy Spirit.

And as pitiful, weak sinners, we all need accountability. I need your help. Keep me in check. Let me know when I'm being stupid, irrational, misrepresenting who Jesus is. (but do so with love, please.) And if you'll let me, I'd like to help you too (whoever you are, reader.).

So I guess this entry actually happens to fit in perfectly with Valentine's Day (I didn't mean for that to happen), so let's all remember our belooooved, amazing husband and show off the big FATTY rock he gave us to show off.

3 comments:

  1. hahah, joan. =)

    i changed teh font color too ok? haha, it was copied and pasted so that's why it wasn't the normal color.

    it's good to see you on blogspot. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen and hallelujah.

    except its not good to see you on blogspot. wordpress would suit you much better

    ReplyDelete