Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Strawberry.. Blueberry.. Blackberry?!

So my phone plan ends in April, and over the weekend, my dad asked if I wanted a Blackberry.

(WHA??) I was speechless. I just assumed I'd stick with a regular number pad phone for the rest of my life and only switch over to a Internet-phone/QWERTY if I REALLY needed it. (I don't necessarily want a QWERTY actually. I love T9/Word) I didn't know what to say, so I just left him little response. Then, just a few hours ago, on the way to dinner for my mom's birthday, he asked again.

You may be saying, what's wrong with you? Are you crazy? TAKE IT! There are so many people that want it but can't get it because their parents won't let them, but YOUR parents are offering it to you! BBM is the best, Internet/Email is SO convenient! Blackberries make life better. blah blah blah.

So why does it pose such a dilemma, you ask?
Because Blackberries consume lives (yes, yes, there are exceptions, but this holds true for the majority of people)
  1. Crackberries tend to ruin social situations. People cannot help but glue their eyes and attentions to their constantly beeping/buzzing/ringing/chiming/donging Blackberry. Yeah, I'm sure it's fun for the BBM'ers, but for us laypeople trying to have regular conversations, it is no fun at all when the person's mind seems to want to be elsewhere and not with you.
  2. Dependency on Internet access. I kind of like being detached from the world sometimes, not having to turn on my computer all the time, etc. But with the Blackberry, you can't run away. And once you go Internet, you can never go back to a regular phone.
  3. The MOOLA. Of course, the phone plan is much more expensive. (But I'm not sure how much more...) So I don't want to waste money when I don't need to.
But.. I have to admit. BBM and unli
mited texting are VERY, VERY tempting and convenient.

One of the biggest reasons why I didn't even consider/want a Blackberry was because it is SUCH a huge trend. Like Macs.
The things you buy/use/wear/etc. say a lot about who you are. I don't want to jump off the bridge, just because everyone else did. I took pride in staying on the other side of the trend. But... now that it has become a real possibility.... do I jump?

What if the other side IS better? If I were to jump, I'd definitely be diving into a large community. But, people who cannot control their Blackberry use, busting it out in any and every situation, always bug me. But if I were to get a Blackberry... I think I could control myself...But do I even need all those apps?

Am I overthink
ing all of this? Probably. Am I making a big deal out of nothing? ... Highly likely. But it stresses me out nonetheless.

So now I ask of you,
To Blackberry, or not to Blackberry. That is the question.



11 comments:

  1. get one!!!!! :) so we can bbm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhhh, joan! I TOTALLY know what you mean!!!
    For me, I'm trying to resist the temptation... internet on my mac is distraction enough..

    I miss youu!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Joan... you're going to get it. And I'm not saying that's a good thing or bad thing. but face it: you're going to get it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello joan! oooh you should get one.. but your 3 reasons are true too~ #1 is the truest~ i honestly HATE when people are looking at/using their blackberry while they're talking to you =/
    p.s. that usc chair story made me happy

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha joan you are so cute even though you're older than me. i miss you i hope i see you soon.

    i'd get the blackberry, but it's good that you're being careful.

    and...then again. i have a mac. don't judge me!! =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should get a blackberry. First of all, they do tend to ruin social situations, but that's only for the people who become completely obsessed. I personally think it's rude for me to be BBM-img like mad if I'm hanging out with someone. And the internet is such a plus for me when we're out somewhere and need movie times and it also has a mapquest program on it so you can always get directions no matter where you are! And the phone plan for Verizon (I don't know what you have) is only like $25-$30 more which isn't really that much! And even though it's a trend (I personally will NEVER buy a mac. I am anti-mac. PC4LYFE!) it still is very very convenient.

    Wow, sorry for the long post hahahha. With that all being said. GET THE CRACKBERRY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yea...just get one. just make sure u don't become one of the #1 folks that u wanna choke.

    ReplyDelete
  8. its a GOOD thing to be attached to the internet. makes you feel sophisticated and civilized.

    join the drug. im doing apple, you do the crack :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. dont do it. get an iphone instead :]

    ReplyDelete