Sunday, October 25, 2009

Who Am I?

I have always been a shy person, but I knew I would have to break out of my shell in order to survive college. So I did, and apparently, so much so that people believed me to be an extrovert. They couldn't believe I was ever shy and it would really give me a little bit of an identity crisis. My whole life, "shy" was always one of the top 3 characteristics I would use to describe myself. It was even in my screenname from 7th to 12th grade. (..heheh.=X)

But post-grad life has been a time of reconciling who I was, and who I became, in order to direct who I will become. And of course, this reconciliation extends into every aspect of my life, not just this one personality trait (as I'm sure it is/has/will for everyone else).

Now that college is over, I have really been settling back into my introverted ways and I keep catching myself doing it. But now that I've seen what it's like being on both sides of the E-I scale, the question is, am I just going back to who I am, or could it be something else?

Is it that one side is closer to my redeemed self, and one is closer to my natural, sin-rooted side? How could I ever even know whether one way is better than another if they both have their pros and cons? Who is it that God wants me to be?

On a similar note, I always thought I was a very open person, and that I would tell anyone anything. And yeah, sometimes I may, but more and more, I find myself withholding my struggles and my life from others. And this also makes me wonder if it's because of this time of my life or if it is just a part of who I am.

At CCH retreat, Pastor Jeney Park-Hearn gave a seminar about our lost self, false self, and disowned self. And it's complicated, so.. I won't explain here.

But even if I do sort myself out and I understand the aspects of my identity, what then? How does it go on from there?
Who is my whole self? How do I get to that point? Can I ever?

4 comments:

  1. shykrngrl16 THAT WAS YOUR SN HUH! ahahhAHAH

    ReplyDelete
  2. be who you want to be.
    God wants you to be that. i think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't think there's anything wrong, inherently, with wanting to not be as transparent and as open as others may be.

    but i have also seen that the more open you are with God and trust God with your struggles, the easier it becomes to share those struggles with others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to wonder that alot too..about myself I mean. I used to wonder if certain traits about me were permanently part of me or like a transition phase to where God wanted me to be. It was quite confusing and depressing actually. For me it was basically identity crisis because I guess deep down I didnt know my identity.. haha as a beloved child of God i mean..anyhoo

    Just be the person that makes you the happiest. I'm pretty sure God's original plan for is also the one that's supposed to make us happy. HAHAH

    hehe i am not studying...

    ReplyDelete